Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Cat


One thing I wanted to discuss about "The Rabbi's Cat," was why Joann Sfar chose a cat for this graphic novel. I thought it was an interesting choice, although, I think the main reason why he chose a cat was because a cat could be there without really being noticed. The cat kind of served as a fly on the wall of sorts. The stories in a way were through the cat's eyes, even though in the last few stories he couldn't speak.

Another thing I found interesting was the way the cat was drawn. To me it didn't really look like a cute little house cat. I thought it looked more like an alley cat. This was also a choice that Sfar had to make. I think if the cat was cute it would have made the story seem a little different. Readers would have felt more attached to the cat then they do in the original story. It would have also made some of the cat's actions such as testing God less bad. I think the choice of the cat having no hair and looking like an alley cat made this part of the story more powerful because readers are able to look at the cat's actions objectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment