Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Stars

Another thing that I wanted to discuss was the importance of the star panel to the graphic novel. This one picture summed up the story for me. I thought the picture symbolized what Miriam Libicki was dealing with throughout the story. I personally have never been to the desert to see what she saw, but I have had moments when I felt similar to the way that she did when she was gazing at the stars. The stars showed that she was feeling that the world around her was collapsing. Somebody in class said that it felt like the stars were coming down on her. I thought this was an interesting way to think of it. The army and her personal life were in a way collapsing around her.

It also looked as though the stars were forming planes. This also symbolized both the army side of things and also her inner feelings. I thought the planes represented the battle that she was having with her own emotions. She was having trouble dealing with everything around her. This is why she had to resort to any way of connecting with another person. I thought this was the reason for why she had sex with all of the people she did. She was looking for any connection she could at the time to help get her through her feelings of an inner battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment