Friday, November 19, 2010

Waltz With Bashir

Since I missed the last two weeks of blogging, I figured I would go back and talk about Waltz With Bashir. I thought the movie was really good. One of the scenes that I found rather interesting was the opening scene with the dogs. I found the color scheme and the overall feel of the scene to be very powerful. It pretty much set the mood for the entire movie. I also thought that this scene immediately showed how the memories of the war affected the thoughts of each of the characters. The scene was basically a dream sequence of all the dogs that one of the characters shot during the war. This was fundamental in creating the setting for the story.

Another thing that I loved about the movie was the ending and also the overall music. I feel bad saying that I loved the ending because the story was very sad, but I thought the choice to show the actual video footage of the end of the war was very powerful. It reminded us that the animated characters in the movie were actually real people. The movie was already extremely emotional, but the woman at the end screaming made it that much more powerful without taking anything away from the animated part of the movie. The music in the movie was tremendous and definitely added an extra layer to the film.

Overall it was a great movie. It was the first animated film to ever be nominated for best foreign language film at the Academy Awards and it definitely deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment